Ways to Give
Thank you for your interest in supporting Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School. We depend on charitable support from our extended family to secure elementary school scholarships, attract and retain outstanding staff, and grow our stimulating educational programs for all our students. Akiba-Schechter is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All gifts are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. Each and every gift is important and appreciated.
Those who make gifts to Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School take pride in their investment. Thank you for your philanthropic spirit, which strengthens our School immeasurably, and for making Akiba-Schechter your priority today.
Cash or Check
To make a gift by check, please make it payable to Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School, and send your contribution to:
Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School
5235 S. Cornell Ave.
Chicago, IL 60615
To make a gift using your MasterCard or VISA, please call Robin Lisak, our Controller at (773) 493-8880, ext. 215.
Gift of Securities
A gift of appreciated securities to Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School can provide you, the donor, with several tax and estate-planning benefits. For information and instructions please contact our Development Office at (773) 493-8880, ext. 213.
The value of your gift may be increased if your employer or your spouse's employer participates in a Matching Gift program. To learn if your gift qualifies for a match, please contact your employer's human resources office.
Getting Involved at Akiba: Volunteer Your Time and Talents
We have a goal of 100% family participation. There are many ways to volunteer at Akiba-Schechter. Please peruse the list below or simply contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Susan Kalt at susankalt yahoo.com . We look forward to working with you.
In the Fall, you can assist us with...
- the Chamber Music Benefit Concert (October 9)
- Soliciting sponsors, Making calls, Helping on the day of the concert.
- Picture Day: volunteers needed to facilitate logistics, escorting children & classes, etc.
- Open House: volunteers needed to set up (Sept. 28).
- Sukkah Building : volunteers needed to help build and take down the school Sukkah.
- Square 1: volunteers needed to help administer the paperwork associated with this fund-raiser.
- Pre-School Brunch: (October 30) volunteers needed to help with set-up and/or clean-up.
In the Winter, you can assist us with...
- Grandparents' day: (February 27): Parents needed to help plan this new event.
- The All-School play: (February 26 and 27)
- Set construction, Costume design & assembly
- The Annual Benefit Dinner and Silent Auction: Sunday, March 5
- Soliciting auction items and/or ads, Program planning.
- Making calls, helping on the day of the event.
In the Spring, you can assist us with...
- Book Fair: volunteers needed to set up and help at the fair.
- Spaghetti Dinner: volunteers needed to shop, cook, and clean up.
- Graduation: volunteers needed to help set up and/or clean-up reception.
Throughout the year, you can do many things:
- Room Parents : Parents needed to be the liaison between the school & the families.
- Rosh Chodesh Breakfasts: volunteers needed each month to set up and/or clean up.
- Hot Lunches: volunteers needed to shop, cook and serve monthly and holiday lunches.
- Grant-writing: Experienced writers needed to draft funding proposals.
- Student Recruitment: Families can host and/or attend neighborhood coffees.
Website Programmer: A skilled programmer to help support our website
Other: Willing to be called on in an as-needed basis.
Each year tuition revenue accounts for only 75% of our operation budget. These two major fundraisers help account for the remaining 25%.
The Herb Klaff Benefit Concert
Every Fall for 26 consecutive years, Chicago Symphony Orchestra Concertmaster Samuel Magad has brought his Chicago Symphony Chamber Players to Hyde Park for a very special performance of dazzling music and unsurpassed artistry. Akiba-Schechter families are responsible for selling tickets. We are always grateful to our large circle of friends who help sponsor this phenomenal annual event.
Annual Benefit Dinner and Silent Auction
Each March Akiba-Schechter honors a member of the community in this annual fundraising event. Funds raised at the Benefit Dinner support general operations and scholarships at Akiba. The benefit dinner and silent auction is a lively evening to celebrate with the broader Akiba family and members of the community. Our silent auction includes a collection of local and international goods and services, and brings in over $25,000 to the School. In addition to the Auction, we publish a fantastic Ad Book that gives individuals as well as businesses the chance to advertise and friends the chance to send messages. The Ad Book brings in over $30,000 to the School. In all, the Benefit Dinner brings in over $110,000 to the School.
Yachad Capital Campaign
To continue to realize its vision of a Jewish Day School that has a place for any Jewish child who wants to enroll, and that will entice families who never considered Jewish education for their children, Akiba-Schechter needed a space that competes with the best schools around and that befits a school of such high aims. To that end, in the summer of 2001 Akiba-Schechter launched the $1.8 million Yachad Capital Campaign to pay for the first phase of construction. To learn more about Akiba's Yachad Capital Campaign, click here for a downloadable campaign brochure (PDF, 387kb)
As of November, 2005, thanks to the tremendous support of Board members, parents, grandparents, alumni, foundations, and community members that original goal, $1.8 million, has been reached. Thanks to a terrific financing package, Akiba was able to stretch the $1.8 million and build not just the first, both phases of the new building. As a result, the new campus is nearly complete. The new elementary school building is now filled with children and teachers, but the playground and kitchen have yet to be outfitted, and the Pre-School is still waiting to be renovated. The Campaign continues. There is still time for you to participate in this wonderful opportunity to secure the future of Akiba-Schechter. Click here for a copy of the Capital Campaign Pledge Form (PDF, 70kb).
We welcome your involvement in Akiba-Schechter. To learn more, or to arrange for a personal conversation about your support, please call Dawn Loeb at (773) 493-8880, ext. 213, or email Dawn at akibadevelopment att.net
Modified: Monday, 06-Feb-2006 13:15:49 CST